5 things every History (hons) aspirant should know
If you want to know the world as of now, you need to know its HISTORY!
1. History in DU is not mere names, dates and one “damn thing after another”. Students who are predisposed to informed arguments, literary nuances, social issues and hard work tend to excel here.
2. The new CBCS scheme is only trivially different from the old semester course. The candidate has to undertake the following papers:
INDIAN HISTORY - 8 PAPERS
EUROPEAN HISTORY- 4 PAPERS
ANCIENT SOCIETIES OF WORLD – 2 PAPERS
HISTORY OF USA OR HISTORY OF USSR (SOME COLLEGES MIGHT OFFER OTHER OPTIONS)
HISTORY OF CHINA OR HISTORY OD SOUTH EAST ASIA (SOME COLLEGES MIGHT OFFER OTHER OPTIONS)
SKILL ENHANCEMENT COURSE – 2 PAPERS
GENERAL ELECTIVE – 4 PAPERS
3. History is a complex interplay between science and arts. You cannot cram what is so important to this world and future generations. You have to live it. One should be ready to dive into the archaic oceans and bring out archives from deep down.
4. Many jobs in diverse fields await history graduates. Apart from civil services and management, NGO’s, social work, museology and tourism are other considerable options.
5. History is open to candidates from any stream. If you can analyze evidences and narrate stories in an interesting way, DU awaits you.